Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Report Abuse   |   Sign In   |   Register
Community Search
Behavior Management
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

2/28/2017 at 6:21:29 PM GMT
Behavior Management
This is a forum where anyone may ask questions, share experiences and get assistance pertaining to behavior management.  We can all learn from each other and expand our knowledge by sharing and learning together as an ECE community.

3/1/2017 at 7:13:35 PM GMT
How can I get children to feel in control while others around them are acting out of control?

3/6/2017 at 5:31:15 PM GMT
It is best to teach children how to control themselves with an integrated curricular plan and instructional strategies that benefit the entire class. You want to teach children about their brain, the sections that process emotions and our instincts and the sections that we access for thinking, logic, reasoning, and our values for appropriate behavior. Once the children understand this information that can be taught with stories, visual aids, and hands-on demonstrations, it is fun to start doing brain exercises with them. The exercises are exciting for the children and should begin every day for maximum focus and concentration for learning. The children become used to the exercises that calm their brains and will feel comfortable to calm down doing the exercises in times of stress. This will be their ‘go-to’ to deal with challenges and difficult situations and will replace inappropriate behavior. The reason this feels good is because when we as adults or children have ways to be in control of our emotions it feels good. Everyone wants to feel good! You can assign ‘Brain Helpers’ each day to remind children of the brain exercises best to use if they are upset throughout the day. It is a powerful experience to have children helping children even though teachers can supervise and help as well.

3/9/2017 at 3:53:55 AM GMT
Is there a source you recommend for ideas for brain exercises?

3/20/2017 at 5:05:03 PM GMT
I have developed 4 brain exercises that are based on neurological information of how best to calm the brain. I am happy to send cue cards for these brain exercises however it is necessary to actually see how to teach children ways to implement them. The NCCA Executive Director, Sheeran Ohayon, is preparing a video and/or a webinar opportunity for those interested in learning and practicing the exercises. He will notify you of when you will be able to see them and subsequently how to receive the cues for the children to learn and practice. It is very important to understand that children must learn, practice, and feel good doing these exercises. Once they do these exercises everyday at the beginning of their learning each day, it will be a natural activity when they actually are stressed and must calm down in order to think and do what they know is appropriate behavior. They are also excellent exercises to prepare the children's brains for better focus and concentration for learning. It is best to do them at the beginning of the day before introductions to curricular information however, it is also a very effective strategy throughout the day to help them refocus when necessary.

4/20/2017 at 1:19:39 AM GMT

Hello A. Seidman I just read your thread and I would like to try your cue cards how can I get them to try

email me at ladytippins@gmail.com

Thanks

Jacky

Sign In
Sign In securely